Monday, May 18, 2009

Life in India







Well I have been here a little under a week and am thoroughly enjoying myself. There is a lot to take in when coming to country like India like the cows, donkeys, goats, camels, and dogs that roam freely around a city the size of Houston, Texas. I have taken away a few lessons so far.



1. Dolphins and Indian drivers have a lot in common.

Dolphins use sonar to see where one another is in the ocean. India's drivers do the same thing except with a horn. They use it when passing someone, when saying hello, when going over hills, when coming down hills, when going through intersections because the lights mean nothing. Somehow this organized chaos works every time with no accidents to report to date.

2. Indian's hospitality rivals that of the American South

Everyone I have met here has asked me over for dinner or to stay at their place after meeting me for five minutes. In fact using my (as one of my esteemed colleagues puts it), "Go-Go Gadget Networking skills" I made several friends on the plane ride over who have asked me to come out with them on the weekends. One was a sophmore at the University of Alabama (RTR!!!) but he was heading to Pakistan so I do believe I will be seeing him this trip.

3. Never tell your host what you like.

On a recent site visit I mentioned off hand that I am partial to ketchup. Well please believe that at lunch, (Chinese noodles and rice) that I had to use ketchup. I am happy to report that it tastes delicious despite the fact that Indian ketchup ranks somewhere between Hunts and Southern Home.

4. Monkeys make great alarm clocks

There is a monkey that lives in the tree outside my bedroom window which remains open. Every morning my friend, Cattatamonkey, wakes me up at 5:30 which is good because I am on a schedule that is somewhat resembling that of a professional. It is also good because I can go for a run at the park close to my house.



5. Speaking of exercise...

First I want to say that all those in the Biggest Loser competition are in trouble. The temp during the day here is 118. Imagine being in a sauna 24 hours a day. I sweat out all the vegetables (because that's all there is to eat) that I am eating.

6. Contradicting my exercise...

Everyone here loves tea. In fact I am really starting to like it. But this is no ordinary tea. It consists of milk, sugar, and ground tea leaves. Basically coffee. It is customary to give guests tea and it is rude for the guests to turn it down. So I visit an average of three villages a day plus breakfast, lunch, and dinner tea meaning I am wired by the end of the day. It has one positive side effect besides its deliciousness in that I am getting a lot of work done.

Apologies for the length of this blog but I have been absent from the Internet for almost a week. The internet can be wierd at times so I will try and post videos and pictures when possible.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the update. Currently stuck in Dallas. Go-go gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia and I were reading your blog as she was brushing her teeth. Cattatamonkey nearly made her spit cause she has a Cattatabird. She's 'bout to rename it Curry. Due to her veggie nature, I assume it will be Jonathan or myself dining.

    I'm glad I'm not in the boys' competition.

    ReplyDelete