Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Current Events

Over the the past few days I have been receiving e-mails from concerned family and friends about the riots in the state of Punjab (several states to the north of me) and Cyclone Aila destroying parts of Bengal and Kolkata (in the extreme southeast of the country). First let me apologize to those who were concerned. I should have published something earlier that neither of these events were affecting me in Ahmedabad. Secondly it made me realize that even though it was Tuesday I think it was time for some Professionalism (A Monday class during the Spring semester at the Clinton School) and Current Events .

I noticed that I had not heard that much about either of these seemingly major events here in Ahmedabad (a city the size of Houston, TX) so I decided to venture out and find a good ole fashioned print newspaper. I did not realize the task that I was embarking on. The problem is that, in a city where 35% of the people are absolutely illiterate there is no point in selling newspapers everywhere. After two hours of passing many newspapers being used as pillows by many of the city's 35% homeless population (I do believe that the percentages are mere coincidence) I finally found a newspaper stand. "The Star of India" and the other one, both had front page coverage of the riots stemming from the Vienna Shootout and Cyclone Aila. I also learned that director Steven Spielberg is going to make a movie about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So now that I am caught up on Indian current events I feel I can answer any question about Indian news. I shall keep you all posted sooner next time if anything occurs.












No comments:

Post a Comment