Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Few Experiences to Dwell On

So this morning at 4:30 a.m. I was awoken by a Skype phone call from my good friends Chad and Heather. If this had been any other circumstance I would have been irate but granted that Cattatamonkey had woken me about 15 minutes prior and Chad is about to leave for Rwanda I will let it slide. If you would like to see what this experience was about check out Chad's blog because he Flipcammed the whole thing.




Also since I have been here I have had the privilege of experiencing a whole new culture and environment. I have been the guest of honor at a traditional Muslim wedding luncheon because my driver said he wanted to grab some lunch. This honor awarded me the privilege of having my photograph taken with all members of the wedding party. Another honor I was given was a local men's club (of which my driver was a member) had a raffle to see who won a new motorcycle and guess who got to be the honorary drawer of the number, me (I was two off from my driver's number and one from his friend).


However the neatest experience so far is the one in this photograph below.

This picture was taken in Jogad village, a village about 2,000 years old and with a population of about 800. What is happening here is that I had just conducted an impact story with my Flip Cam for one of the elements of my project and since you can load the video immediately I decided to show the people who had participated their video. Why this is so interesting is that first I am in the middle of the Indian desert about 100km from the nearest Internet on a laptop which most had never seen before. But more importantly this was the first time that any had seen their own image played back to them before and the amazement is evident on their faces. A picture is worth a thousand words.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is a cool picture. Flip Cam should really sponsor us. How many of us have them now? At least 4 I think.

    ReplyDelete