Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reverse Culture Shock

This is now day eight of my European trip and I must say that it has been the experience of a lifetime. While I am not able to upload any pictures I will be sure to let you know when Ashley updates her Facebook with a link to said pictures.

One of the things that I have noticed is how clean the cities are that I have been to. There is certainly a noticeable increase in government services in terms of street cleaners, police, and other emergency services. These are all things that I noticed were lacking in India. Secondly there is constant construction on new buildings and repairing of old ones. There is also a noticeable commitment to the environment. There are recycling bins on every corner and the cars are of course smaller. In fact during a 24 hour period here in Milan, Ashley and I have counted 201 Smart cars.

In a less academic adventure, we went to Laga da Como (Lake Como) yesterday and it was exaclty like you see in the movies. However nothing can describe actually being there. The villas sprawling up the tree covered hills, the serene water, and freshest air one can imagine. Towards the end of the day we took a trolley up the hill and had an authentic Italian meal (I had lasagna) overlooking the lake. Needless to say it was very enjoyable.

For now we are boarding the 3:10 train to Zurich. I cannot wait to see the Swiss Alps. Hopefully there will be wireless so I can upload photos. I shall keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment