Friday, July 17, 2009

A Little House Cleaning

As I have read my classmates blogs I noticed a few features or posts rather that I too would like the world to know about, such as what books I've read, but the main one I need to respond to right now is the IPSP Biggest Loser competition. Adam and John have both made reference to this competition on their blogs, www.penman612.wordpress.com and www.johnmemmer.wordpress.com, and the fourth member, Chad, just has not talked about it because I think he realized that any effort on his part would be futile.

The reason why I mention it now is because up until yesterday I thought it was smooth sailing. I am in country where the temperatures have exceeded 122 degrees, there is usually no AC, there is no meat, and you cannot even have the occasional beer. So could John and Adam really take me on? I thought 'no'. Then I read John's blog and he said that he had already lost 20 pounds. This also does not concern me as I have lost 30. What does concern me is that I have four days left on my project and John has a month. In addition "Positive Stuff" will be going on a trip to Europe for two weeks which will surely not be good for the competition. So what are my options? I am left with only one conclusion, that being I shall live the Gujarati lifestyle until the official weigh in (for all those of you that just laughed or were just filled with an extreme since of doubt you are correct).

However one thing that I will take away from this experience is that I have re-discovered the joys of working out. After work nearly everyday, barring monsoon rains, I have been working out and finding it a great release. I feel great and I would like to keep that going so I plan to do so upon my return to the states.

In another personal update, when I move to Houston to begin my work with the HEARTS organization (Houston Early Age Risk Testing and Screening) for my Capstone project through the Clinton School, I will also begin my training to become a paramedic, a lifelong dream of mine. The plan is to get my basic certification and continue my education when I return to Little Rock in January.

And in case you have not had enough me yet here is what I have read to date:

"Pirate Coast" by Richard Zacks
"Arkansas Politics and Government" by Diane D. Blair and Jay Barth
"Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell
"Anti Memoirs" by Andre Malraux
"Looking Back at the Arkansas Gazette" by Roy Reed (Clinton School Speaker) (www.clintonschoolspeakers.com)

...and I will be finishing out the summer with "The Defining Moment: Franklin Roosevelt and the
First Hundred Days" by Jonathan Alter, Newsweek's senior editor and former Clinton School Speaker.

I think that that is enough of me for now. Tomorrow is Saturday and I will be in the office all day wrapping up my final few days so if any more epiphanies come into my head I will be sure to let you know.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have be in first place in IPSPBL, just don't be in last place, which I'm sure will not be an issue.

    Also since my project is closed I'm not walking the 10K per day that I was so I'm probably gaining some of it back.

    ReplyDelete