Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Let Freedom Ring

I was sitting in the office today ready to go on a site visit to Dungarpur in the northern state of Rajasthan (One of the only other areas besides here that has yet to feel the effects of the much needed monsoon) and then I received a phone call. It was from the district coordinator telling me that something had come up and we would have to push the trip back till tomorrow and return on Sunday. A common occurrence here in India and no big deal except that this weekend happens to be my favorite holiday of all, the 4th of July. I was planning on visiting Rajasthan anyway but with some European friends who were going to relax and enjoy the sun (if that's possible) but now I will be working in the desert on the most awesome of holidays.
In a vain attempt to provide solace for my patriotic soul I started thinking about it. I am going to a desert wilderness where a loose confederation of villages are dependant on one another for survival and to ensure that life in this area goes on as it has for years. Then I realized I am going to an area that was just like America so many years ago. True the wilderness was different but the need the same. Also India has only had its independence since 1947, when the movement led by Gandhi effectively forced the British out of India (Little bit more peaceful than our spat with Britain). The desire for basic human rights that John Locke talked about are as present here as they were in 18th century America (sans slavery). I will be helping bring these basic human necessities in another country to people who need it desperately.
On certain holidays, such as Thanksgiving (my second favorite) and Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa, we have trained our brains to think about those less fortunate than others. But I think on our own holiday celebrating our independence we should also think of others less fortunate, our troops overseas fighting for the very freedoms I am referring to, and how blessed we are to be Americans.

I would be lying if I did not say that I am going to be a little bit jealous of my friends skiing on the lake, grilling out, being with family, or any of the other ways Americans celebrate Independence Day. However I know that the work that I am doing is much needed and I will certainly say that this is a 4th that I will never forget.
Happy 4th of July to all my fellow countrymen and women. May the Stars and Stripes forever fly and continue to strive to serve as model of justice, peace, and humanity for those who call it home and those who are her neighbors in world.

I would also like to wish a happy birthday to Momma Stokes as it will be her birthday on July 3rd. I love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment